Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Found

A month ago I mentioned the disappearance of Laura Miller Edwards. She disappeared under mysterious circumstances on October 25. Laura was an employee of one of our clients, and I trained her back in June.

My original post is here: http://hyperbear.blogspot.com/2006/10/im-in-bit-of-shock.html

I received the terrible, but not really unexpected, news today that her body was found. She was discovered on October 18, with the news being reported on November 22. I had been watching local web sites for information, but had slipped in the last week and a half, so I didn't hear about it until today.

Laura's Harley Davidson jacket was found in a ditch. In the pockets were a set of keys (possibly her truck keys), and a handwritten note. She was found 25 yards away from her jacket.

The autopsy results won't be available for another six weeks or so.

She was found about a mile from her car, suggesting that the police didn't do a very thorough search. You'd think that a proper grid search with people marching in a line could have found her, but I suspect there weren't enough people involved.

Here are some stories. The first talks a little about the search.

http://www.wdnweb.com/articles/2006/11/28/news/news02.txt

http://www.wdnweb.com/articles/2006/11/22/news/news03.txt

http://www.pamliconews.com/

The news reported that she had a fight with her boyfriend, but so far no one has been arrested. The police haven't ruled out foul play, but from what I heard that hasn't been reported, I don't think that is likely. That's not to say that someone wasn't responsible for her death, though. I won't say any more on a public forum.

I will say that I am terribly saddened to hear about this. I didn't know her very well, but I did know she was smart, thorough, and consciencous. The world is worse off for her passing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, i live just down the road from where the body was found,, and i still wonder about the whole case. Weird thing is where it was found people go by there all the time. I know there is no way the body laid there for that many days. It is impossible. Also the air search shined the spot light at that exact spot. So I am still puzzled after all this time,,,