Friday, December 02, 2005

Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Okay, I'm not as depressed as the title makes it sound! That's a quote from "Time" by Pink Floyd. I thought it appropriate as my birthday was yesterday, and Pink Floyd was recently inducted into the U.K. rock music Hall of Fame.

My birthday was a low key event, but very nice. Alana and Logan presented me with a Lilliput Lane cottage from the Scotland collection (I now have 18 Lilliput Lane pieces, a David Winter cottage, and two Fraser Creations pieces), and The Night the War was Lost by Charles Dufour, about the fall of New Orleans to the Union during the Civil War. This is on top of the four sets of the Heroscape game I received a few weeks ago! Heroscape can be used as a stand-alone game, or as a terrain set for miniatures games.

We went to O'Charley's for dinner. Alana and I had been with Jason and his Mom last weekend and we had a coupon for a free apetizer. For the second time in a row we were underwhelmed with their service. Alana had asked the waitress to bring a cake for my birthday, to surprise me with cake and singing waiters, but the woman forgot. Alana was most peeved!

I really enjoyed the day, though it would have been better if I didn't have to go in to work! Alana always makes me feel special on my birthday, and I appreciate that more than I tell her. She knows I get a little depressed when my birthday rolls around (it was pretty bad when I turned 40) but this year I didn't really feel that way at all. Okay, maybe a little, but not much! Alana's a big part of that. So is Logan, who couldn't wait for me to open my presents (literally! When I asked what present I should open first, he said, "The book!" He paused. "Not the building!")

Anyway, I'm another year older. Today I continued to celebrate by eating a piece of cake the size of my head! This weekend I still intend to play Panzer Leader, which will take me back to the first days of my teens. Who says you have to wait until you're old to enjoy your senility!

No comments: