Friday, September 23, 2005

Living in the CD Player - 9/23/2005

I don't know if I can keep it up, but every Friday I'll post the CDs that have been living in our CD players (which usually means the Toyota Corolla and the Chevy Tracker, as we don't seem to play a lot of music at home except during our roleplaying games) over the past week.

My favourite disk in the Corolla this week is Fuel's Something Like Human. The more I listen to this CD, the more I like it!

In the Tracker is Lullabies to Paralyze by Queens of the Stone Age. This is a bit harder than the Fuel CD, but it, too, is a very strong album that gets better every time I hear it.

The biggest disappointment for us has been X and Y by Coldplay. Don't get me wrong, it's a good album, but it's only good, not great. There's not a lot of energy there. It's the kind of album I'd happily play while reading to fill in the silence, but it's just not grabbing me while driving. "Speed of Sound" is a good song, but it doesn't have the vitality of "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face". On the other hand, I made a compilation CD that has "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" from their A Rush of Blood to the Head CD, and I can't help but singing that song every time it comes on. It's fresh and it's alive. "Speed of Sound" doesn't do that for me, and "Speed of Sound" is the best song on the album. I like Coldplay and I want them to do well, but I don't think this album lives up to the hype.

No comments: