Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Tragically Hip on Saturday Night Live

Alana and I were thinking, at one point, of going to see The Tragically Hip play in New Orleans this weekend. Unfortunately, it fell through for a number of reasons, not the least of which being the fact we're up to our eyeballs in boxes.

So, instead of going to the concert I've been listening to their music, in the car, at work, and at home.

For those who don't know, The Hip are my favourite band, and somewhat of a phenomenon in Canada, though relatively unknown outside of the country. While web surfing I was finally able to find The Hip's performance on Saturday Night Live, back on March 25, 1995. I remember this performance rather fondly. Ironically I was up to my eyeballs in boxes (preparing for a move) the weekend they played.

This was The Hip's big introduction to the U.S. market. The song is "Grace, Too", from the album Day For Night. It happens to be my favourite Hip song. I hope you enjoy it:


Video: Tragically Hip - SNL - Live

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool, I enjoyed this.

Unknown said...

I love that video. It's also the point where I understood what Gordon was singing at the end of the song. "Him? Here? Now? No!"

Justin said...

I stay up way too late at night searching out Hip videos I've not yet seen. Thank you so much!

Alan Keith Carver said...

This appearance was the first time I had ever heard The Hip. Gordon's stage presence was amazing! I loved it so much I got up earlier than I normally would have on a Sunday to go out and buy the Day for Night cassette as soon as the mall opened. I loved the album, and now consider The Hip to be the Greatest Band of All Time®™ . You might disagree, and that’s ok, but you’re wrong if you do. You are just plain wrong.

I’m traveling from Seattle to Vancouver in February to see them live for the fourth time. If they decide to extend the tour to Seattle, I’ll be there for that one too!