Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Comcast and repetitive music

I like having music on when I write. Unfortunately, we get horrible reception in the house (but okay reception in the car) for the only radio station worth listening to in Monroe/West Monroe, KXUL, the local college station.

So, I listen to Comcast's Alternative digital music station.

What's with Comcast and the small stable of artists they play on this channel? Are they getting payola?

Right now "Kings and Queens" by 30 Seconds to Mars is playing. I like the song, don't get me wrong. But I am guaranteed to hear it at least once in a two hour session. It never fails. And they'll play another 30 Seconds to Mars song within another couple of hours.

Earlier they played She Wants Revenge. No problem with the group, but, again, I'm guaranteed to hear them once every couple of hours or so, sometimes more often than that. Because it's on the television, they have graphics for the bands they play, and these graphics tend to stick in your memory.

I guess maybe they want me to jump to another channel, one that pays them more. If I'm going to do that, I'm going to turn off the TV and plug in my PSP (as an MP3 player) or put on some CDs, none of which lets me hear new music.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Allan,

I too write best when music is playing in the background. It helps me focus on the task at hand...getting the paper done in time to without having to pull an all-nighter :-) The music selection on Music Choice channels are actually provided by music choice. You can get more info here http://www.musicchoice.com/what_we_are/pdf/FAQ_PopularQuestions.pdf and submit feedback here http://www.musicchoice.com/forms/comments_form.asp

Best,

Detreon Roberts
Comcast National Customer Operations
We_can_help@comcast.com

Unknown said...

Thank you for the information. I noticed the music channels all had "Music Choice" listed as a registered trademark, but there was nothing to indicate that they were a separate company from Comcast. I just assumed it was Comcast's own branding.

I will leave feedback.