Monday, February 19, 2007

Final Delta Green write-up posted

The problem with not running a game on a regular basis is that there's not a lot of incentive to finish game write-ups. Last year we finished our last Delta Green game, and took a break from Delta Green and the Cthulhu Mythos to play some other roleplaying games. After an abortive attempt at Nobilis, we began playing Eden Studios' All Flesh Must Be Eaten zombie game, and are just about to start an Arc Dreams Wild Talents superhero game.

The Delta Green write-ups took a lot of my free time to write up, partly because of my use of a voice recorder for notes. I tended to be too thorough with my notes. Without the pressure of an upcoming session, and with the time pressure required to finish a write-up, there was always something else in life that took precedence. When February 2 rolled along and I realized we last played the Delta Green scenario five months ago, I knew I had left the scenario write-up for far too long. I made it my goal to finish the write-up before the six month mark.

The last session was the September 3 session. This completes the campaign set in hurricane ravaged New Orleans. It is also the last Delta Green scenario write-up, at least for now.

You can find these and other write-ups on the Modern Day Delta Green write-ups page.

Will we play Delta Green again? I talked to Alana about that, and she mentioned how she missed her Agent Maya character and the Delta Green campaign. For my part, I enjoyed Delta Green but after three years of running DG games, and about four years of running it in the late 90s, and 2000, I think I've explored most of what could be explored with regard to the Delta Green organization. Oh, there's plenty of stuff in the Cthulhu Mythos to play with. It's just that I'm tired of the limitations of the Delta Green organization (the shadow organization within the U.S. government). You can get a hint of this in the New Orleans campaign, particularly with regard to the beginning of the campaign and the changes I introduced. I was taking Delta Green in a different direction.

I'd like to explore those changes. I'd also like to try something different. There may be a way I can have both of these options. Eden Studios came out with Conspiracy X a few years ago. Last year they ported the game universe to their Unisystem game system, the same one used in All Flesh Must Be Eaten. Con X (as it's called) is definitely inspired by The X-Files (while Delta Green was created initially before The X-Files, and so it just happens to cover some of the same ground). In Con X you play members of a government agency investigating the supernatural. Unlike in Delta Green, Con X characters are sanctioned by the government, and thus have better access to resources. They are essentially the "good" contingent of Majestic-12, with a "bad" contingent to deal with, along with a number of other conflicting groups. From what I can see, the Con X antagonists are quite a bit different from each other. There are more entities in the Cthulhu Mythos, but aside from Hastur and the Mi-Go, the rest seem to be more of a variation on the same theme: interstellar evil things with human minions.

With the Mythos as an inspiration, I think Conspiracy X offers a broader range of antagonists than Delta Green. I may be wrong, but I'd like to find out.

Anyway, it will be a little while before I find out. We still have to finish the All Flesh Must Be Eaten campaign, and then I'll be back to the Cthulhu Mythos with a classic Call of Cthulhu game. We'll see what happens after that.

No comments: